Monday, August 15, 2016

Alaska Day 3



So we are finally underway.  The first day is a sea day.  After a fulfilling breakfast in the Windjammer Cafe we explored the ship.  Marianne and I have taken over a dozen cruises with half of them being on Royal Caribbean and each ship is different and unique.   As we moved about the ship among 2,500 of our newest friends we found many small bars and shops catering to our every need,  The ship was having a sale on winter coats as well as gloves and hats.  A friend of mine had taken this trip two weeks ago and he had warned me that once we left Vancouver there would be a drastic change in the temperature,  He was right.  Interestingly enough Royal Caribbean held the clothing sale basically outside near the pool and of course this reinforced the change in the thermostat.  I bought my wife a reversible jacket that was water proof and lined.
We had brought sweatshirts but we quickly realized that it wasn't enough. We continued exploring the ship.

After lunch several of our group went to various classes and programs offered by the ship.  At dinner we joined with the rest of our contingent and shared days activities.  What is nice about this cruise is the fact that it is a majority older crowd.  I'd guess 95% was over fifty.  Which means we had to slow down for the slower crowd and try not to giggle at the wheel chair racer that nearly took out a group of Japanese travelers waiting for the elevator.  I later learned it was a father and son and the father was 98.

Dinner was a sumptuous affair but I swear we were served the happy meal sized version but the wife says that the smaller portions are healthier for me.  Good thing the Windjammer stays open later.  We shared our days activities with the others at our table and I was even able to prank a friend of mine with a surprise birthday celebration at dinner.  Boy was he surprised since his birthday isn't until December, he figured out it was me so I'm watching out for his retribution.

After dinner we took in a musical production.  I can say that Marianne and I have attended musicals on Broadway and the Kennedy Center as well as dinner theater production and I'm sorry but while the actors, singers and dancers had a lot of enthusiasm their director would have been better off with something else because none of us could figure out what the show was about.

Later some of our group found, Derreck Wayne a young ship's entertainer outside the Schooner Bar.  He is an extremely talented pianist and singer.  He has an amazing knowledge of songs from the 50's to the present and pleasing voice to go along with nimble finger that glide across the keyboard with style and grace.

Lastly several of us found a karaoke lounge a short distance away.  I have to admit its fun to get up and sing with an actual band behind me and they made me sound just like Elvis even though Ii missed a word here and there.  Unfortunately they couldn't help some members of our fellow travelers.  Now we know what they did with the money their parents gave them for singing lessons.  They bought candy instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment